Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Post-Patch Mage Spec Build - But No Evocation!



I honestly see no logical reason why Blizzard is getting rid of Instant Arcane Explosion and Evocation: we mages NEED them if we're going to fight off a good number of mobs at once! Hell, I have always made it a point to USE Evocation whenever I can, whenever I'm incredibly low on mana and need it in the next 10 seconds! It has been such a useful skill for me on its own.

Now Blizzard is killing it and replacing it with a 1-point talent called Arcane Resilience that increases your armor by 50% of your total Intellect. WTF?!?! If this were 50% of MANA, I'd probably get it. But there's a point to be made:

THE BEST MAGES NEVER GET HIT IN MELEE! I mean why the hell do I need any more armor when I'm goin to be Frost Nova-ing, Cone of Cold-ing and Instant Arcane Exploding my way through upwards of five mobs at a time?! This is why I have the old Frostbolt+Fireball+Mana Shield+Arcane Missiles routine implanted into my brain for any fight with a melee mob!

Would I be happy with an Intellect of 167? For a 33 mage, yes. Would I even care about an increase in armor equal to 50% of 167, rounded either up or down? Hell no.

At least they didn't stuff up the Frost tree though, but the point remains that I REALLY NEED INSTANT ARCANE EXPLOSION and EVOCATION! Somebody torch the office of the Blizzard employee who thought up the idea of mages needing a negligible increase in armor, and letting it replace Evocation.

Now all I have to worry about is how Faxmonkey, one of the most respected mages in the game (he lives on Blackrock btw), is going to cope without Evocation and Instant Arcane Explosion, as these two skills make up a sizable amount of his tactics both in general gameplay and in his infamous videos.

*sniff*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home